CommLead-Spotlight-filler-image.png

CommLeader Spotlight| Dominique Barni, Cohort 10

Dominique Barni

Dominique Barni, Cohort 10

Area of interest (within the MCDM program or in general):

I’ve definitely leaned towards the “communication and distribution” pathway within MCDM. I’m interested in the stories that people and organizations have to tell, and how they can use different media to share them.

What exactly do you do professionally or what are your professional goals?

I currently work at Seattle Children’s as the social media specialist. I manage our corporate social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+ and Pinterest currently), which represent the three entities that comprise Seattle Children’s (hospital, foundation, research institute) and help other departments within the organization who are interested in developing their own social media presence.

I started at Children’s about halfway through my first quarter of MCDM, and I definitely credit the program for helping me to land the gig! Hanson told us about the opening in class — he had developed a relationship with the organization and they had a lot of respect for the program, which I think definitely gave me a leg up.

Which classes have had the most impact on you personally and professionally?
I have loved all my MCDM classes, and wish that I could take (almost) every class offered. I’ve taken two multimedia storytelling classes — one with Hanson and Scott, the other with the Common Language project — that I really enjoyed on both a personal and professional level. Personally, I really enjoyed learning the process of weaving together a story, and talking through some of the ethical issues involved in finding, telling and sharing someone else’s story. I think those things all help professionally as well, as did learning a practical skill (nonlinear video editing).

I also really enjoyed Kathy Gill’s Managing Your Web Presence class, having never been a super tech-geek, it was great to learn about what goes on behind the scenes to make the web what it is.

I’m planning on taking Anita Crofts’ Leadership class in the fall and am really looking forward to it.

What digital trends are you most intrigued by right now?

Though it’s not purely a “digital” trend, I’m really interested in content strategy. There’s so much content out there, and I know that I personally am often overwhelmed by the amount of “noise”. I’m really intrigued by this process of  looking at what your audience or end user wants, and figuring out how to communicate that to them, rather than looking at what you as an organization want to say and how you want to say it. To me it speaks to the reasons I first became interested in social media, and subsequently the MCDM program — the idea that the public had a voice and a platform in a really new and powerful way that could actually influence the information, products or services they were being given.

Career-wise, what is your ultimate digital media goal?

I think the blessing and the curse of this program and this “field” is that there are so many options! I’m still trying to figure out exactly what I want to be when I grow up, but I’m really interested in content production (in all kinds of media) as well as using social media as part of an integrated approach to help organizations solve problems and meet their goals. I think at some point I’d like to try working for an agency — I like the idea of working as part of a team to accomplish something concrete. There’s also a part of me that would really like to stick my toes in the water of entrepreneurship, but I haven’t found my “big idea” yet.

As a full-time or part-time student, how have classes worked into your schedule?

Most quarters I’ve just been a part-time student (one class) but I have doubled up a couple times. Having classes in the evening or on weekends definitely helped make the balancing act manageable. It’s tough, but doable. I just kind of accept that my social life will be limited during the quarter, but those 10 weeks do go by fast!

And for the sake of a silly question: Apple or Microsoft and why?

Apple all the way! I grew up with Macs, and actually started college (in 1998) with an old Macintosh Classic. My personal computers have been Apple ever since.

Ilona IdlisCommLeader Spotlight| Dominique Barni, Cohort 10