CommLead-Spotlight-filler-image.png

CommLeader Spotlight|Madeline Moy, Cohort 9

Graduation date or expected graduation date: June 2012

Area of interest (within the MCDM program or in general):

Nonprofit communications and marketing, content development, digital strategy

What exactly do you do professionally or what are your professional goals?

For the last 14 years, I’ve used my marketing and communications expertise to help nonprofit organizations connect, persuade, and inspire people to take action.

I helped build the social media program for United Way of King County–the largest United Way in the nation in terms of fundraising–and as a member of Seattle Works’ social media committee, I developed two online fundraising campaigns that raised nearly $20,000 and significantly grew the organization’s individual donor base.

While I was the digital media manager at the Seattle Art Museum, I developed content and strategy for the museum’s website and social media platforms. My efforts helped SAM connect with both current and new audiences and drove attendance to the museum’s three sites.

As an independent consultant, I help organizations tell their stories, connect with customers, and drive revenue.

How are you directly applying knowledge from the MCDM program in your daily life?

I often consider the importance of storytelling.

Which classes have had the most impact on you personally and professionally?

Storytelling, Digital Media Law & Policy, Interactivity Design

What digital trends are you most intrigued by right now?

The continuing rise of mobile devices, Microsoft’s attempts to re-invent itself, social consequences of pervasiveness of digital technology in everyday life, gaming for nonprofits.

Career-wise, what is your ultimate digital media goal?

That’s a tough question! One of my goals is be in a position where I’m enabling people to use technology to improve their lives and the wider community.

As a full-time or part-time student, how have classes worked into your schedule?

While I was in the MCDM program, I worked full-time. I also raised a young child with my husband. That meant one long day every week and weekends that were always busy with homework and group projects. I only took one class a quarter and always took the summer off. It took me longer to finish the program than most people, but stretching it out worked best for me and my demanding schedule. Plus, the MCDM  is always evolving so I was glad that I had extra time in the program to benefit from some of the changes and experience the most recent course offerings.

And for the sake of a silly question: What’s your favorite dessert and why?

My favorite dessert is a banana split. You add whatever ice cream and toppings you want, and you can still feel like it’s reasonably healthy because it has fruit in it.

Ilona IdlisCommLeader Spotlight|Madeline Moy, Cohort 9