CommLead-Spotlight-filler-image.png

CommLeader Spotlight|Dacia Sáenz, Cohort 11

Area of interest (within the MCDM program or in general):

Media Making and Creative Content Strategy.

What exactly do you do professionally or what are your professional goals?

I’m a filmmaker, storyteller, and youth media educator. My goal is to help people share their story in a compelling and engaging way. Non-profits, businesses, artists, & folks who are embarking on innovative endeavors benefit from using digital media to build a community around their ideas. I love being there to package those ideas in a way that sparks conversation and inspires people to get involved.

How are you directly applying knowledge from the MCDM program in your daily life?

Being a part of the MCDM community has opened up a ton of opportunities for me to work with clients, while providing a strong mentor-based support system.  I have been earning my chops in developing creative strategies by focusing on authenticity, audience, and networks.  The most fundamental tools emphasized throughout my MCDM adventure have been centered around grounding my clients’ stories in sincerity, being clear on who their media is being made for, and leveraging a wide variety of networks to spread their message.  

Which classes have had the most impact on you personally and professionally?

The introductory Narratives and Networks class that we took with Hanson and Mac was the perfect foundation to build upon and had the most impact.

What digital trends are you most intrigued by right now?

Gaming for social change, transmedia, interactive media, and mobile technology trends in emerging markets are inspiring my curiosity most right now.

Career-wise, what is your ultimate digital media goal?

I want to travel the world making media, documenting people’s narratives, and putting media tools in the hands of as many people as possible so that they can amplify their own stories.

As a full-time or part-time student, how have classes worked into your schedule?

Being full-time last year was intense. I took on a lot of opportunities and projects that I am thrilled to have been a part of, and I’m very excited to be part-time my second year. I hope to be able to savor more of my MCDM experience.

What’s your favorite dessert and why?

Meatballs. I am more into savory than sweet.

Ilona IdlisCommLeader Spotlight|Dacia Sáenz, Cohort 11