joseph-feature.png

CommLeader Spotlight| Joseph Pavey, Cohort 10

10154912_898617410178544_8138066164392007910_n

What Cohort are you from? Cohort 10

Area of interest (within the MCDM/MCCN program or in general):
Online video distribution, mobile computing, wearable technologies.

What exactly do you do professionally or what are your professional goals?

I work in the Video on Demand Space. My current focus is on improving digital video supply chain logistics by creating and promoting standardization and best-practices for handling of materials.

How are you directly applying knowledge from the MCDM or MCCN program in your daily life?

On a near daily basis, I use the storytelling skills the MCDM taught me to write business documents that combine research data with narrative storytelling to describe a problem space and present potential solutions in clear, concise, and effective language.

Which classes have had the most impact on you personally and professionally?

Ken Rufo’s “Evolutions and Trends in Digital Media” helped me look broadly at the technology landscape and become better at predicting what might come next based on analyzing historical trends. Jamie Wells “International Trends in Mobile Technology and Marketing” taught me how to analyze trends from a business development angle and critically evaluate new technologies and their possible adoption. Finally, Anita Crofts “Leadership in the Digital Age” helped me consider what kind of leader I wanted to be and how I could most effectively inspire others to do great work.

What’s your favorite Comm Lead experience?

During the summer between my two-years in Comm Lead, I did an internship with Plan International in Cameroon, West Africa. I got to live in a small village for 10-weeks and teach citizen journalism to local youth. It was so exciting to see how the kids embraced technologies like Flip Cameras and used them to share the stories they wanted to tell. It’s an experience I couldn’t have had any other way, and my time in the Comm Lead program helped make that possible.

Career-wise, what is your ultimate digital media goal?

To use the skills I’ve learned in my educational and professional career to disrupt the business models of legacy media organizations in a way that benefits consumers and content creators around the globe.

What digital trends are you most intrigued by right now?

I’m fascinated by mobile banking, and the impact that companies like M-Pesa are having in developing countries. The fact that so many cultures are skipping over legacy technologies that rely on expensive infrastructure investment (like land line phones, and wired internet) and going straight to wireless internet and mobile phones allows them to embrace newer, more innovative technologies more quickly. I find that extremely exciting to watch.

What made you want to become an alumni fellow?

Comm Lead has been such a great experience for me, educationally, professionally, and even personally. I wanted to help give back to a community that’s given so much to me. Also, it’s a great way to stay connected with faculty and meet new students in the program.

What workshop will you be leading as an alumni fellow?

So far, I taught the “Intro to Digital Video” workshop that debuted in October, as well as helping lead the “Insider’s Guide to Comm Lead” workshop. I’m not sure what’s next, but I’ve still got just over a year to go, so there will definitely be more.

What’s the strangest food you’ve eaten and under what circumstances?

A couple of years ago I was on business trip in Tokyo and I ate basashi. (Which is essentially, raw horse.) It’s a regional delicacy in the Kyushu prefecture of Japan, and was the specialty of the restaurant we were at. It was surprisingly good. I doubt I’d order it of my own volition, but it was fun to try it.

Ilona IdlisCommLeader Spotlight| Joseph Pavey, Cohort 10