Amaroney-featured.png

CommLeader Spotlight| Amaroney Thach, Cohort 13

10495586_831369213570031_139695039335284339_o

Graduation date or expected graduation date: Spring 2015

Area of interest (within the MCDM/MCCN program or in general):

I am interested in social entrepreneurship, specifically utilizing digital media in higher education.  I am also interested in multimedia storytelling.

What exactly do you do professionally or what are your professional goals?

I have been working in higher education for more than 10 years.  I am currently a Scholarship Coordinator at South Seattle College.  My professional goal is to create a user-friendly scholarship web site that is engaging and social.

How are you directly applying knowledge from the MCDM or MCCN program in your daily life?

I want to create a start-up, taking the knowledge and skills I’ve learned from my classes and putting them in action.  I plan to write a business plan for a business venture that involves the scholarship web site I mentioned earlier.

As a full-time or part-time student, how have classes worked into your schedule?

I have been both a full-time and part-time student.  I find it quite challenging to be full-time and work 40 hours a week but it keeps me busy and engaged.  I enjoy the intellectual stimulation I get from my courses and the practical experience at work.  I also find time for social activities so I can be well balanced.

Which classes have had the most impact on you personally and professionally?

I really enjoyed Rick McPherson’s Business Fundamentals in Digital Media.  I took it the first quarter I started the program and the class really set the bar for the program.  I was challenged tremendously and I learned a lot from him.  I have the experience to now write business plans and present them to the public.

What’s your favorite Comm Lead experience?

I enjoy First Fridays.  It has been a wonderful way for me to connect with my cohort and other professionals in the field of communications.  The companies which have hosted the events this past year have been valuable, and did I mention the free appetizers and drinks?  I always plan to attend every First Friday event.

Career-wise, what is your ultimate digital media goal?

My ultimate goal would be to create a more user-friendly web site for scholars and scholarship seekers.  This has been my main focus during my studies with Comm Lead.  I envision a web site that will be used by millions of students around the world.

What digital trends are you most intrigued by right now?

I’m a huge fan of wearable technologies, specifically fitness tracking devices.  I have owned a Fitbit and a Jawbone UP24 and was happy with the results.  At the moment, I am in search of a new fitness tracking device.  Possibly Apple is coming up with something in the near future?  I would totally buy it.  Fitness tracking devices keep me motivated to stay active and eat healthy, and who doesn’t love accessories?

What’s the strangest food you’ve eaten and under what circumstances?

One of the strangest things I’ve eaten would be a duck embryo egg.  It’s soft-boiled and contains a half-formed duck embryo. I enjoy mine mostly when I can taste the crunchy bits of the cartilage.  If you’re lucky you can even taste the feathers.  My mother makes a killer lime & pepper sauce to go with the dish.  It’s a delicacy in many Southeast Asian countries, so I grew up eating it.

Ilona IdlisCommLeader Spotlight| Amaroney Thach, Cohort 13