beijuan-featured.jpg

CommLeader Spotlight|Beijuan Miao, Cohort 14

11112797_990026697704281_6995734391801460557_nGraduation date or expected graduation date:  March 2016

Area of interest (within the MCDM/MCCN program or in general):

MCDM, UX design, interactive storytelling

What exactly do you do professionally or what are your professional goals?

My professional goal is to become a UX designer who really understand users’ needs and design Apps for them, especial for helping people to find better selves and make the communities more engaging.

How are you directly applying knowledge from the MCDM or MCCN program in your daily life?

I learned many problem-solving techniques like Essence in Anita’s class, and use it into some questions bothering me for a long time like self-analysis, interpersonal relationships and so on. In Jason’s user experience research class, I gradually learned to think problems in users’ shoes, and think more about others’ needs, which is also very important and helpful for me to get along with others.

As a full-time or part-time student, how have classes worked into your schedule?

I am a full-time student, and the schedule of two classes per week is good to me. It allows me to arrange my daytime effectively to study, exercise, relax, or explore the city and our school, but this winter quarter was a challenge to me for the intensive deadlines. Fortunately, I made it! The spring break is coming!

Which classes have had the most impact on you personally and professionally?

Jason’s Foundational User Center Design Methodologies, Advanced User Research and UX Strategies. These two courses led me into the field of UX.

What’s your favorite Comm Lead experience?

The final presentation in Anita’s class; group studies in UX classes; the First Fridays; umbrella dance; New Year’s Eve with Comm Lead classmates (too many…)

Career-wise, what is your ultimate digital media goal?

Keeping pace with the development of digital media and designing novel and useful apps for people.

What digital trends are you most intrigued by right now?

Interactive design

What’s the strangest food you’ve eaten and under what circumstances?

A kind of jellylike food made of worms. I didn’t notice it was made of worms and I thought it was jelly, so I ate it. Sounds gross, but tastes not bad. ^_^

Ilona IdlisCommLeader Spotlight|Beijuan Miao, Cohort 14