drew-stone-featured.jpg

CommLeader Spotlight|Drew Stone, Cohort 14

10982437_938456072861344_6541082470855587920_nGraduation date or expected graduation date: Spring 2016

Area of interest (within the MCDM/MCCN program or in general):

MCCN, Shared equity in startups and businesses, B-Corps, “creative” approaches to self-presentation and awareness of teammates, Internet of Things, Virtual Reality and Virtual Worlds, Mindfulness Media Technology

What exactly do you do professionally or what are your professional goals?

I am fulfilled by creating and innovating through collaboration. I am an Artist, entrepreneur, and mentor filmmaking visual arts programs for an alternative education group, foundry10 (www.foundry10.org). I am presently working part-time at UW Bothell in the Production Services arm of Information Technologies on the UWB campus. I am looking forward to consulting as a way to get my needs met for collaboration and new projects.

How are you directly applying knowledge from the MCDM or MCCN program in your daily life?

I have been using the Essence Technique from @avcrofts’ COM 536 to help clarify and develop a conflict resolution policy for the Burning Man theme camp on which I am on the board of directors, and volunteer coordinator.

As a full-time or part-time student, how have classes worked into your schedule?

I am currently a part time student, but once the core classes are completed I will transition to full time.

Which classes have had the most impact on you personally and professionally?

COM 536, for the exploration into authenticity and self-awareness, and the Essence Technique process.

What’s your favorite Comm Lead experience?

The first day of class for cohort 14 in COM536 I was glad to see everyone again, I feel a familial connection to our cohort. Second to that, it is the CommLead First Friday events where we have a chance to connect with ourselves and local industry change-makers in a relaxed manner.

Career-wise, what is your ultimate digital media goal?

I want to help assemble, empower and support small teams in the creation of greatness, as they define. I would like to see the positive impact of the communities that I have a part in building, all across the world.

What digital trends are you most intrigued by right now?

I’m interested in emerging advancements in virtual realities and a potential paradigm shift with regards to hiring individuals and assembling teams based on a whole-person view.

What’s the strangest food you’ve eaten and under what circumstances?

I have tried vegetarian “haggis” in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1998 while traveling with my family to our families’ (McLean) clan gathering on the Isle of Mull. Strangely enough, it tasted WORSE than traditional haggis.

Ilona IdlisCommLeader Spotlight|Drew Stone, Cohort 14