hanns-peter-featued.jpg

CommLeader Spotlight|Hanns-Peter Nagel, Cohort 12

10941145_927022020671416_3475792520737816204_nWhat Cohort are you from?: Cohort 12

Area of interest (within the MCDM/MCCN program or in general):

Content strategy, immersive storytelling and design

What exactly do you do professionally or what are your professional goals?

I do digital marketing of the inbound kind for a center at the University of Washington.

How are you directly applying knowledge from the MCDM or MCCN program in your daily life?

I really rock a 24-checkbox WordPress advanced settings configuration panel. But seriously, I think the program helped me put digital trends into a deeper context and gave me more insight on how the web increasingly shapes all areas of life (and even thinking). It also gave me a good toolkit to approach digital communication problems more strategically.

Which classes have had the most impact on you personally and professionally?

Hanson and Mac’s class Narratives and Networks was great because it combined creative exploration with community-building. As a social media immigrant (as opposed to a native) it was interesting to see how online storytelling and social networks could work together. I also liked Andrea Zeller’s content strategy class, it really helped me combine many of my digital skills under one umbrella and use them with purpose.

What’s your favorite Comm Lead experience?

Though I distinctly remember a few not-so-favorite times when I was up editing at 11 p.m. with the babies crying upstairs, writing and editing for Flip the Media was a great experience. It really opened up a wide and unexpected network for me and gave me great creative freedom. Plus, I even got to go to SXSW and stay in a completely pink room for a while. But that’s another story.

Career-wise, what is your ultimate digital media goal?

More of a life goal but applies to my use of digital media as well: Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.

What digital trends are you most intrigued by right now?

Intrigued by: can multimedia storytelling save newspapers? Curious to try: 3D printing; (Still) trying to understand: Bitcoin; Concerned about: printing of new organisms; Pondering in idle moments: will my (very young) kids ever drive a car?

What made you want to become an alumni fellow?

Digital media moves so fast, what I think is cutting edge is probably already outdated. Staying close to the program as a fellow is a way to keep me exposed to new ideas. Plus, I really like to stay in touch with the Commlead community.

What workshop will you be leading as an alumni fellow?

As former Flip editor and the one responsible for the re-design, I’m helping out with Commlead’s student blog and supervise independent studies.

What’s the strangest food you’ve eaten and under what circumstances?

It’s not strange, just disgusting: haggis.

Ilona IdlisCommLeader Spotlight|Hanns-Peter Nagel, Cohort 12