Tanner-featured.jpg

CommLeader Spotlight|Tanner Taylor, Cohort 11

10608521_882599008447051_3770748721425012632_oGraduation date or expected graduation date: June 2014.

Area of interest (within the MCDM/MCCN program or in general): Video production, digital media, storytelling, marketing

What exactly do you do professionally or what are your professional goals?

I work on corporate video production and communications projects at Expeditors, a global logistics provider.  We create videos, podcasts, and other communications deliverables to support company initiatives.  Our goal is to communicate to the right people at the right time with the right message.

How are you directly applying knowledge from the MCDM or MCCN program in your daily life?

Every day I find myself referencing something I learned or heard or saw from the MCDM program.  This can range from deciding what to show on a presentation slide to picking the shot composition for a video interview.  I really tried to learn as many fundamentals as I could in the program so that I could build from them when in my daily life.

As a full-time or part-time student, how have classes worked into your schedule?

I work downtown Seattle from roughly 8 to 5pm, so the evening class schedule worked well for me.  I’d take the bus from downtown to UW and make it to class without any issues.  The first year I took one class per quarter, which was a good balance with everything considered.  Then my second year I took two classes per quarter, which was definitely more of a challenge.  Balancing all the school work with professional work and family life got to be pretty difficult for me.  It was doable, but not terribly enjoyable.  Having a pregnant wife and birth of our first child thrown in towards the end of my time at MCDM was probably a contributor to some stress.

Which classes have had the most impact on you personally and professionally?

I really enjoyed the first class with Hanson and Mac, COM 546 Narratives and Networks.  It was a great experience creating my own blog and getting to know the other students and their interests.  The production studio class with Scott Macklin was a great experience too.  The class was smaller and everyone worked together really well towards our goals.  Scott’s ideas and energy were great to be around, and getting to experience the UW studio taping of Four Peaks was very valuable.

What’s your favorite Comm Lead experience?

One of my favorite Comm Lead experiences is of our video shoot at Julep Nail Salon downtown Seattle for an episode of Four Peaks.  Hanson was interviewing Jane Park, the owner, and I was able to shoot some supporting footage as well as some behind the scenes footage with Ashley Rose Omara and Jordan Slaymaker.  We planned ahead, worked well together, stayed organized, and got the job done all within the time restrictions.

Career-wise, what is your ultimate digital media goal?

Ultimately I want to have a solid understanding of the digital media space as it continues to change over time so I can create the best messages and deliverables for my company.  What works well now for certain communications probably won’t be the same in 5 years.  So it’s going to take a lot of effort on my part to stay involved and informed of the latest digital media trends.  Never stop learning, right!?

What digital trends are you most intrigued by right now?

I’m always interested in hearing about the latest in consumers cutting out cable, or cord cutting.  It’s always changing, especially when you hear about news like with HBO announcing they will provide their service for customers without a cable subscription starting in 2015.  My worry is that eventually, people will be paying a-la-cart for so many monthly individual services like Amazon instant videos, Hulu, HBO, Vudu, etc, that their monthly combined spending will be the same or more than it was when they had the big bundled package from a cable provider.

What’s the strangest food you’ve eaten and under what circumstances?

Rocky mountain oysters – in Idaho.  They weren’t oysters.  They were bull testicles. Not sure what the hell compelled me to do that…must have been pressure from my family.

Ilona IdlisCommLeader Spotlight|Tanner Taylor, Cohort 11