Vera-featured.png

CommLeader Spotlight|Vera Lu, Cohort 13

10541426_843307489042870_4953817645659486852_o

Graduation date or expected graduation date:  Winter 2015

Area of interest (within the MCDM/MCCN program or in general):

Multimedia production, digital storytelling and content strategy

What exactly do you do professionally or what are your professional goals?

My goal is to become a video editor and web content producer who can convert her visual thinking into the narrative and to engage audience through editing the story.

How are you directly applying knowledge from the MCDM or MCCN program in your daily life?

The MCDM has given me a variety of opportunities to engage myself with people in and out of this program, an open mind to work creatively on my class projects, and a strong support from the faculty and our cohort whenever I need help. Gaining the technical skills like shooting and editing is important, but I benefit a lot from two principles emphasized throughout this program: the action idea and the audience, which enable me to have a clear guide for making decision on content.

As a full-time or part-time student, how have classes worked into your schedule?

Being a full-time student allows me to manage my graduate life flexibly, it also means that the program will go very fast! I am satisfied with our class schedule, but the 8-hour core course is really intense.

Which classes have had the most impact on you personally and professionally?

The Multimedia Story by Drew Keller was the perfect course for me to enter the world of visual narrative, and to try my hand on shooting, editing and video branding.

What’s your favorite Comm Lead experience?

My cohort is the most united cohort I have ever had in my education experience, we like meeting everyone in and out of class. I really appreciate the relationship I have built with my classmates and this program; this is definitely my favorite experience.

Career-wise, what is your ultimate digital media goal?

I want to keep enriching my knowledge in digital media and storytelling, and build my career path around video production and content creation.

What digital trends are you most intrigued by right now?

The experience I had on Scott’s Immersive Storytelling has stimulated my interest in bringing more interaction between story and audience. The way that audiences experience content is changing, and I want to learn how this change and storytelling will affect each other.

What’s the strangest food you’ve eaten and under what circumstances?

Ant soup. I was under 10, on a dinner party with my parents. The light soup had a lot of black spots in it, looked like black sesames when it was not under my face, but they were ants, I don’t know if they were cooked or just dead ants… It was said that ant soup was good for body, but I have never seen that recipe again from then on.

Ilona IdlisCommLeader Spotlight|Vera Lu, Cohort 13