CommLead-Spotlight-filler-image.png

CommLeader Spotlight|Amy Ball, Cohort 11

Amy Ball, Cohort 11

Graduation date or expected graduation date: Spring 2013

Area of interest: Marketing campaigns in the digital media space

What exactly do you do professionally or what are your professional goals?

I am a Marketing Campaign Specialist (MCS) for Mass Media at REI. As a MCS, I partner in the design and implementation of a diverse set of multi-channel marketing programs by driving traffic, conversion and sales, and member acquisition and retention. I manage relationships with internal stakeholders, vendors, clients, strategic partners and agencies from concept through delivery of marketing programs (television, radio, newspaper, print and digital advertising). I partner cross-divisionally to ensure marketing programs are aligned and integrated with the seasonal campaigns and annual marketing plan. I also coordinate events and promotions in multiple markets to reach our target audiences.

How are you directly applying knowledge from the MCDM program in your daily life?

In the Narratives and Networks class I was able to create my own content channel (blog) and develop a network engagement strategy. In doing so, I am able to understand the key communication and social changes facilitated by digital media through networks, along with their opportunities and risks. I continually ask myself what networks are my target audiences interacting with, what is the level of interaction my target audience is having within these networks, what conversations already exist, what type of interaction do users have within each network and what are other blogs similar to mine doing.

Which classes have had the most impact on you personally and professionally?

The classes that have had the most impact on me professionally were the Research Strategy & Business Practice course and the Mobile Media Development and Integration course. In the research class I was able to match the best research method to answer the question at hand by designing valid instruments of data collection and test the significance of the results. Shortly after the class, I was able to volunteer for a corporate blog project that evaluated the current state of the blog and then engaged the audience in a survey to inform the future strategy of the blog.

In the mobile class I developed a mobile strategy, which included a mobile app, mobile optimized website and digital ad campaign, for a local insurance company. In order to develop this strategy, the team and I evaluated when and how mobile should be used to create engaging and interactive experiences, as well as explore how mobile impacts an organization’s communication, marketing and business tactics.

What digital trends are you most intrigued by right now?

The digital trend that I am most intrigued by right now is the protection of an individual’s privacy. For example, where will facial recognition technology take us, when will the individual monetize access to their personal information and will retina identification be widely accepted in daily life?

Career-wise, what is your ultimate digital media goal?

I would like to manage a team that is responsible for a brand’s social marketing presence (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+, Pinterest), as well as engagement and social elements on their website (community, blog, user reviews, etc.).

As a full-time or part-time student, how have classes worked into your schedule?

As a part-time student and full-time employee I have taken one course per quarter and been successful in meeting deadlines and expectations of each project. I did take two courses my first quarter and was quickly overwhelmed with all that needed to be completed.

And for the sake of a silly question: Favorite place to study on campus and why?

Campus is never open when I am studying.

Ilona IdlisCommLeader Spotlight|Amy Ball, Cohort 11