CommLead-Spotlight-filler-image.png

CommLeader Spotlight|Inge Scheve, Cohort 11

Inge Scheve, Cohort 11

Area of interest (within the MCDM/MCCN program or in general):

Online content creation, journalism, multimedia storytelling

What exactly do you do professionally or what are your professional goals?

I am an online journalist, currently working with a Norwegian magazine publisher Fri Flyt (English: Free Flow) writing about mountain biking, road biking, skiing, triathlons and adventure racing – covering everything from events, equipment, training and nutrition, as well as the personalities that create the communities, from the pros to the weekend warriors both online and in print. Through creative coverage, passion and enthusiasm, I hope to contribute to changing the way people think about endurance sports, to participate in the community and share the content among themselves. Upon graduation, I started my own news website covering endurance sports in Norway (www.SkiAktiv.no). The web site launched in November 2011 and was just sold this summer, when I moved on to pursue online journalism in a new venue, new ventures and new context.

How are you directly applying knowledge from the MCDM or MCCN program in your daily life?

The coursework, both the theoretical framework in the core courses as well as the electives and hands-on skills classes, have given me the tools and the spine to be a key contributor in the professional arena as well as securing a position in the online news/content business.

As a full-time or part-time student, how have classes worked into your schedule?

I was a full-time student, so having most of the classes at night allowed me to pursue internships during the day in a really smooth way.

Which classes have had the most impact on you personally and professionally?

It’s really hard to pick just a few. But I think the Flip the Media class, where we worked as a regular online newsroom and regularly published and evaluated the content was a great confidence builder. After that class, I knew I had the tools and the knowledge to leverage a good media strategy as well as produce compelling content. The metrics and analytics class has been very useful in showing the ROI of various social media and media strategies, and it never fails to impress the C-suite when you can back up your strategy with numbers and research. I also enjoyed the mobile technologies class, exploring the vast opportunities in that emerging market as well as looking at the history and heritage of mobile technologies.

What’s your favorite Comm Lead experience?

I really enjoyed all the fabulous people I met in the program, from fellow student and faculty to guest speakers and industry leaders brought in through the various events and programs within the Comm Lead. Those experiences have helped me build a diverse and solid network and introduced med to fields, businesses and connections that I’ve enjoyed both professionally and personally.

Career-wise, what is your ultimate digital media goal?

Through digital journalism, creative coverage, passion and enthusiasm, I hope to contribute to change the way people think about media, to encourage greater participation in the online community and share the content among themselves, and to bridge the gap between online and offline communication.

What digital trends are you most intrigued by right now?

Net neutrality, ad the consequences the loss of net neutrality would bring – a reality where those with deep pockets can shut out other voices.

From a content producer standpoint, the concept of native advertising/native content and the blurring of lines between commercial/paid content and independently produced editorial news is both fascinating and disturbing.

On the technology side of things, I’ve been interested in mobile for years, a development that keeps fascinating me. a whole different That more people are enjoying online content on handheld devices, and that in the emerging markets, a lot of consumers will bypass the desktop/fullon laptop experience entirely and go straight from analog/offline to mobile. This opens up a lot of opportunities for media outlets but also brings in new aspects and considerations regarding formatting and user-friendly loading time.

What’s the strangest food you’ve eaten and under what circumstances?

I pretty much eat anything that won’t eat me… But I really wouldn’t mind trying insects. To feed a growing population globally, we’ll have to get used to eating more of that in the future. And what really is the difference between crickets and shrimp anyway? Other than that one lives on land and the other in water?

Ilona IdlisCommLeader Spotlight|Inge Scheve, Cohort 11