CommLead-Spotlight-filler-image.png

CommLeader Spotlight|Kendall Barnett, Cohort 12

Kendall Barnett, Cohort 12

Area of interest (within the MCDM program or in general): Branding and Marketing

What exactly do you do professionally or what are your professional goals?

My professional goals are to do what I love. I want to work for a non-profit company (or companies) within the greater Seattle area. I have a heart for non-profits and would want to help them with digital strategy and digital branding.

Which classes have had the most impact on you personally and professionally?

COM 587: Business Fundamentals in Digital Communications has impacted me in a way that I never expected. Rick McPherson, the instructor, is amazing. Through Rick, a well-respected individual in the world of business planning and design, you will learn an immense amount about the factors to consider when going into business for yourself. As much as I struggled through this class, I learned a lot and will take the knowledge of creating my own business plan with me into my future endeavors.

COM 588: Marketing and Branding in Digital Communication has been my favorite course thus far in the Com Lead program. The instructor is a professional named Brian Marr who has so much to share with students about the advertising and marketing industry. He provided some awesome guest speakers that allowed us to see the content as more than just pages in a textbook. We got to hear about how people actually work with marketing and branding through successful companies within the Seattle area. This class helped me to narrow my professional focus. Brian helped me to see that Branding is where my future lies.

What digital trends are you most intrigued by right now?

I find the concept of the “smart wallet” to be fascinating. Knowing that we are moving in a direction in which we can pay for everything with a swipe of our smart phone is totally life changing. This revolution minimizes the need to carry cash and a wallet jam-packed full of rewards cards, debit cards, credit cards, etc. So much of how we live our lives is through our phone. The idea that we could consolidate our money into something as basic as our phone is pretty cool.

Career-wise, what is your ultimate digital media goal?

I want to work within the digital sphere by being a branding strategist for online content. Everything is online. We get the feel for what a company or idea is about through their website, facebook, twitter, tumblr, etc. Making sure that a business or movement is branding themselves well within this sphere is important. I want to help to brand and strategize the best way to engage and communicate with a business’s desired target market.

As a full-time or part-time student, how have classes worked into your schedule?

I am usually a full time student. It is of course challenging to balance work, school, and personal time- but it can be done. The key to balancing them all is to be honest with your work management team, your professors, and your friends and family about what is going on in your life. If work has been crazy, professors understand that because they themselves do what they teach and know that balancing it all can be challenging.

And for the sake of a silly question:

Favorite place to study on campus and why? I like to study in the library. We are so lucky to have such a beautiful campus and the library has a very peaceful architectural element that allows me to focus. OR if it is a beautiful day and campus isn’t too busy, I like to plop myself down right in front of the Communication building with my notes in hand and enjoy the sunshine.

Ilona IdlisCommLeader Spotlight|Kendall Barnett, Cohort 12