joe-hunich-husky-100-thumb.jpg

Comm Lead student Joe Hunich recognized in Husky 100

The UW Communication Department is proud to announce that it has five of this year’s Husky 100. 2017’s honorees include two students majoring in Communication studies, the Editor in Chief of The Daily, and one Communication Leadership graduate student. These students are five of fifteen students selected from the Social Sciences division of the College of Arts and Sciences.

“Our students do amazing things, and we are fortunate to have faculty and alumni who consistently set the bar high,” said David Domke, Chair of the UW Communication Department. “The Husky 100 recognizes students who are going above and beyond to change the world. These students inspire us.”

Read below to find out more about these extraordinary students:

Taylor Beardall | BA Communication / BA Political Science '17 and Human Rights minor Throughout college, Taylor’s interests have revolved around international human rights and empowering women and children through educational opportunities. These interests have led her to India, where she worked with a nonprofit organization to develop legal literacy trainings for women and provide greater educational resources to community children; and the Political Science Honors Program, where she performed research on sex workers' rights within the US. These interests continue to inspire her future career aspirations. “My Communication education has helped me increase my interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills. This was necessary for example, as I worked with a human rights nonprofit in rural India last summer, where there was a huge language and cultural barrier,” Taylor said. “I also think it has given me an advantage in my other classes and activities, because this major is so interdisciplinary and has helped me improve a plethora of useful skills, ranging from public speaking to evaluating the ethics of global communication and political situations.”
“My Communication education has helped me increase my interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills. This was necessary for example, as I worked with a human rights nonprofit in rural India last summer, where there was a huge language and cultural barrier,” Taylor said. “I also think it has given me an advantage in my other classes and activities, because this major is so interdisciplinary and has helped me improve a plethora of useful skills, ranging from public speaking to evaluating the ethics of global communication and political situations.”

Joe Hunich | Masters of Communication (Communities & Networks) '17 As a student in the Communication Leadership program, Joe has been able to directly connect his coursework to projects that serve his community. From developing a creative strategy for sharing the region's Indigenous history, to building a platform that promotes positive parenting and helping local nonprofits effectively tell their stories. Joe says he is grateful for his Husky Experience and is excited to see what is next!
“I have learned to listen with empathy, plan with creativity, and lead with integrity,” he explained.

Mohammed Kloub | BA Communication (Journalism) '17 and Middle East Studies minor This year, Mohammed served as Editor-In-Chief of The Daily, UW's student-run newspaper, during a time of big changes. The job keeps him incredibly busy, but it has also helped him connect with and learn about countless communities and organizations both on and off campus. In the end, his goal has been to make The Daily a true community newspaper and to leave it on a solid foundation for the generations of student journalists to come.
“I love journalism because of the opportunity it gives me to hear people’s stories and tell them to the world,” Mohammed said. “There’s so many great stories right here at UW.”

Della Norton | BA Communication and Spanish '17 Throughout Della’s Husky Experience, she has developed a capacity for leadership by pioneering the growth of her own student organization on campus. UW Special Olympics connects college students and individuals with intellectual disabilities through sports to build friendships and help lead the social justice movement of Special Olympics. She is incredibly thankful for the leadership opportunities UW has brought her & cannot wait to continue making a difference in the world into the future!
“I have found gratification in participating in various academic, recreational, and philanthropic programs across the UW community,” Della said. “Studying communications has allowed me to explore diverse and broadening subjects that directly apply to real world experiences. I have gained confidence and expertise in my communication skills throughout my husky experience as a result of my degree.”

Enrique Pérez de la Rosa | BA Journalism / BA English (Creative Writing) '18 Enrique says he became a journalist to live off his curiosity, but then quickly fell in love with journalism's ability to give voice to the underrepresented. In the future, he hopes to report on social issues abroad in Latin America for English, Spanish and Portuguese-language publications.
“Stories are the only possessions that are truly and uniquely ours and it’s been my goal at UW to learn how to tell my own stories effectively and enable others to tell their stories through me,” Enrique explained.

Department of CommunicationComm Lead student Joe Hunich recognized in Husky 100