Cole-Portrait2.jpg

Comm Lead community captured on film by Cole Whitworth

The culmination of our first Comm Lead class is a portfolio, in any format, illustrating how each student understands their leadership through the lenses of story and community. We’re proud to share some of the standout projects from Autumn 2019 over the coming weeks, starting with this photo essay of his fellow students by Cole Whitworth:

“By definition community means: “a unified body of individuals such as a body of persons of common and especially professional interests scattered through a larger society.”

I became a part of a new community when I started graduate school at the University of Washington this fall. On the first day, I found myself a part of a diverse group of people from all over the world with various skill sets and backgrounds. Yet we all had a commonality now because we are part of this program. Over the last 10 weeks I have gained a new understanding of what community means. To me it means a place of respect and unity where people work together towards the greater good and betterment of humanity. Differences are not condemned but celebrated and encouraged.

My leadership portfolio showcases this community. I photographed 13 of my fellow cohorts using photographic film as my medium. In addition to the images, they wrote a response to the question of why they chose to join this program. I hope this body of work allows the viewer to appreciate what makes us all unique but can see us together as a community.”

Vicente Capala

Elliot Trotter

Alexandra Rochester

Beatriz Guimaraes

Cleopatra Okeleke

Eric Rossitch

Mengdi Mi

Michael Bervell

Ruby Sharma

Rini Kamal

Qianhui Song

Kate Garbe

Louis Ko

Cole Whitworth

Alex StonehillComm Lead community captured on film by Cole Whitworth